I read Mitch Clem’s top 10 and it inspired me to do a top 10 of my own… I just so happen to be drunk while i’m typing mine… here we go:
1: RVIVR “The beauty between” - This record is soo good. I was turned onto this band by my buddy Avi. It’s a great pop-punk record… fuck… even npr likes them. I saw them live, but drank too much to remember it. fml. can’t wait to see them again… more sober.
2: Benny the jet Rodriguez “Home. Run.” - I wrote a review of this fine band on fb, and said “Every song is baller”, which I thought was hilarious, because baller is a baseball reference for badass, and BTRG not only has baseball references in their name but in their title too… come on… that is kinda funny… I didn’t get one like… but serious… this band is sooo good… every song is baller!!!
3: The Abigails “Tundra” Cassette only release. I’ve seen these guys so many times this year. If you like drugs, county, and punk you need to listen to this.
4) The Fling “Mean Something” - ok, I technically got the digital version of this in 2012, but the official release wasn’t until 2013.. so I’m counting it. One of my all-time favorite bands. If you know anything about me you know how much I will love anything these guys put out. Just check it out!
5) FIDLAR “Fuck it dog life’s a risk” - I couldn’t stop listening to this album. ok, yeah it’s kinda jockey, but fuck it… I saw these guy twice this year and… well if you are 34 you shouldn’t be stage diving, but fuck it dog… lifes a risk… and I don’t care if i’m sore for a week after… i’m stage diving.
woah half way through… time for a smoke break… ok i’m back… fucking long beach… some guy is yelling “call the cops, some guy just poured gasoline on me” I’m pretty sure it was “broadway gaga” who is a homeless punk who hangs out in my neighborhood, he skated off, i hope he ok… where was I… oh yeah.
6) Audacity “Butter knife” - I love these guys. Seen them live a ton of times. I read another review of this album, and they described their label (Suicide Squeeze) as a place where good bands go to make crappy albums, but fuck that… ok yes “mellow cruisers” was a great album, but this album is pretty fucking good too. I don’t care what album you get. just listen to them.
7) The Aquadolls “”Stoked on you” - I’m stoked on this album. The first time I saw them I missed half their set, the second time was at a house party in long beach and they played one song before the cops broke up the show, finally got to see a full set at the fonda and they were great. This band has some potential. Someone needs to sign these guys and take them to the next level. so much fun.
8) Shannon and the clams ” Dream in the rat house” - Saw this band in oakland at the burger bagaloo. And they are playing in a couple weeks with hunx and his punx. I do like their older stuff better, but this was a pretty good album.
9) Night beats “Sonic Bloom” - This record has been on repeat this whole time while writing this list, and its pretty fucking good.
10) … I know I have one more… and I’m drunk… but I’m just gonna say there was alot of great albums out this year… Tijuana panthers, fuzz, The growlers, ty segall, Kurt Vile, superchunk… i Can’t pick a number 10